Bay Area Moving Tips from Jay’s Small Moves
Tips to Help Make Your Move Fast, Safe, and Cost-Effective!
- Booking Job Over Phone: Please be as thorough and candid as possible when describing your unique move job. Having accurate job details in advance will help ensure team efficiency. Knowing prior to your move: the residence size, # of stair flights (in & out), description of large and heavy items, long walkways over 50ft, most dismantling and reassembling needs, multiple destinations, and any other pertinent move details are important to us as your moving company. Please feel free to call us anytime after your initial phone booking to further discuss your job details.
- Parking: Arrange for parking for the moving truck at both destinations. Be creative with signs, cones, trash cans, cars, etc to ensure available parking. Busy city streets will usually require a parking permit. Visit movingpermits.com to avoid ticket / traffic issues. We will need safe & legal parking.
- Packing: Being FULLY PACKED prior to the crews arrival will make your move fast, safe, and cost-effective. Jay’s Small Moves cannot accept liability for unpacked fragile items. We do offer packing services. Here are some packing/moving tips:
- Do not leave any small stuff without packing
- Pack and protect all fragile items
- Use small boxes for books
- Make sure boxes are full and close flat in order to stack
- Leaving the boxes at the front will increase job speed (if desired)
- Label boxes clearly and include the room they belong to
- Have a plan for furniture arrangement
- Dressers, cabinets, etc. should be emptied prior to team arrival
- Small fragile, valuable, and sentimental items should be moved by client
(This includes medicine, jewelry, small paintings and glass items, electronics, etc)
- Elevator: Make elevator reservation in advance with your building manager
- Storage: Make storage reservation in advance and be aware of hours of operation
- HOA Requirements: Please let us know ASAP if proof of general liability is required
- Children (pets too): Please keep safe and clear during move (Very Important)
- Delicate Floors / White Carpets: Have protected before team’s arrival
- Mattress Bags: We recommend using mattress bags for protection
- Electricity: Disconnect all electronics such as washer, dryer, fridge, etc (No propane)
- Appliances: Please have dismantled in advance if necessary to move
- Truck: Please respect our liability concerns and do not enter ramp or back of truck
- Personal Presence / Cell Phone: Stay present during move & always keep phone handy
- Furniture Disposal: At times, we offer unwanted furniture disposal service
- Safety is Top Priority: Please do not rush or pressure movers to do unprofessional work
- Final Walk Through: Check that nothing was missed / forgotten before movers depart
- Relax: We are at your service and here to help you
Purchasing the right homeowner's insurance policy for your home is always a balance. The goal is to be adequately insured – saving money that would be wasted on over-insurance while keeping your home and assets safe if worst-case scenarios become a reality for your...
40 million people relocate every year in America. A lot of those people are moving to find new opportunities and start businesses. Moving as a business owner is less straight-forward and requires careful planning. If you're trying to move people and pieces from one...
Moving is considered to be one of the most stressful events in a person's life. And yet every year, over 40 million Americans take the plunge. If you're among their ranks this year, good planning can make the difference between a hectic mess and a smooth fresh start....
Moving is one of the most stressful things you'll ever do during your adult life. In fact, one 2018 study found that about 60 percent of people say moving is more stressful than getting a divorce or going through a bad breakup. And moving can be hard on more than just...
The average person will move more than 11 times in their life. No matter how many times you've done it, moving is always a little scary. You've built a life in your home and gotten comfortable with it. Now, you have to pack up everything own in the world into boxes...
About 8.9 million Americans move between states each year. A further 1.8 million people move into the United States from another country. The average person spends roughly $1,170 on a local move and $5,630 for a move to another location. Depending on how much stuff...
Let's face it, no one likes moving home. But our dislike for moving doesn't change the fact that it's often a necessary part of adult life. In fact, around 36 million Americans move home every year. That's just under one in every eight people. Yet, despite most of us...
Is moving threatening to put you on the "naughty" list? The holidays are supposed to be a time of joy and fellowship. However, a major move can put a major damper on your Yuletide happiness! Smooth Holiday Move Fortunately, you don't need Santa and his elves to fix...
Are you preparing to move out of state? Whether you've accepted a new job or are moving to make a better life for your family, moving to a new state is a significant transition in one's life. While this move is sure to mark an exciting new passage, it's not to say...