There are many tasks to get to before you hit the road to your new home. It is best to come up with a plan of everything you need to tackle before the move. The following tips can help you create the perfect moving checklist.
- Put together a binder with everything you need for your move, such as lists, estimates and notes.
- Go through your belongings and decide what you want to donate, sell or discard.
- Figure out what packing supplies you are going to need to purchase.
- Start enlisting help for the move. You may have asked your peers to help you move, or you may need to research moving companies.
- Gather the packing supplies such as boxes, bubble wrap, packaging tape and markers.
- If you are moving long distance, start making travel arrangements for your family. You may need to book your flight or reserve a hotel room for the trip. If you are moving a short distance, you may need to look into a reliable babysitter for your children or boarding for your pet.
- If you are planning to rent a storage unit, this is the time to start researching companies in the area.
- If you have children, notify their school of the move and obtain copies of their school records. You should also start the enrollment process at their new school.
- Notify your doctor and dentist of the move and ask for copies of the medical records.
- Now is the time to book your moving company and rent a storage unit. You should also double-check with any peers who offered to help with the move.
- Discontinue the utility service in your current home and have it set up at your new home.
- If you have a landlord, make sure you notify them of the move and find out when they can return your security deposit.
- Start packing the items you do not need right now, such as extra linen and seasonal decor.
- Create an inventory of your belongings and place it in your binder.
- This is also a great time to figure out where you are going to put everything in your new home.
- Start the process of changing your address, and be sure to notify important companies of your new address.
- You should also look into having your home insurance transferred to your new place.
- Start using up the food in your refrigerator and freezer so it does not expire during the moving process.
- Start packing up the rest of your belongings, except the items you use daily.
- Give your current and new home a good cleaning.
- Dispose of the items you cannot move, such as cleaning solutions and paint.
- Use the final week to finish packing your items.
- Contact your peers and movers to confirm the move.
The Day Before:
- Use this day to make sure everything is packed up and the boxes are labeled.
- Be sure to double-check the pantry and cabinets, and clear out and defrost your refrigerator and freezer.
- Pack a bag or box of items you are going to need for the first few nights, such as medications, toiletries, snacks, water and apparel.
- Work with your movers so they know what items are fragile and what is going with you.
- Give your home one final check and make sure everything is locked up before leaving.
The moving process can be stressful if you do not plan accordingly. You can take care of everything in time for the move by creating the perfect moving checklist.